Benefits of the Beacon Zone
The Innovation Beacon Zone will empower Beacon Schools with collective flexibilities and resources; support for teachers and leaders to learn together, grow, and excel; and community ownership and involvement, in order to codify the Beacon Model and sustain it to improve outcomes for students.
What is an Innovation School?
Passed in 2008, the Innovation Schools Act provides a pathway for schools to develop practices to better meet the needs of individual students and allows them more autonomy to make decisions at the school-level. Application for Innovation status must be approved by a local school board and the Colorado Department of Education.
GBMS has gained such approval giving it the ability to implement:
- A more rigorous college prep curriculum
- Blended learning with technology-based instruction, applications, and assessments
- A system for frequently analyzing student data
- Research-based interventions that result in high growth and achievement.
Innovation status allows Grant Beacon Middle School to increase instructional time, continue to reduce class sizes in reading, writing, and math as well as to continue to provide professional development needed to meet the needs of our diverse learners.
How We Succeed
- Culture Drives our Performance
- Growth Mindset Creates our Solutions
- Our Teams Lead Our Transformation
- Blended Learning is Our Path to Personalization
- Data Informs Our Instruction
- Social Emotional Learning Builds Our Character
- Rich and Varied Learning Experiences Motivate Us
Beacon Network Schools students will be among the highest in academic growth in the state, will be well-rounded in their interests and abilities, and will be recognized in the community for outstanding leadership.
Beacon Schools are committed to the high achievement and growth of every student, providing a college preparatory program of study that sets high expectations and requires critical thinking and problem solving skills. Through the integration of technology and collaborative work of students, staff, families, and community partners, BNS will bring together its neighborhoods’ diverse communities and prepare students with the academic knowledge and 21st century leadership skills necessary for college and career success.
—Hover Over to Reveal—
We foster Personalized Learning Environments where students own their education.
We relentlessly pursue improvement of our practice.
We are here for our students and each other.
We don’t just work, we have fun because we are valued.